Re: VA Pics

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Daniel E. Markle wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 09:31:08AM -0500, Jason Pincin wrote:
> > /		256 MB
> > /var		768 MB
> > /usr		1024MB
> > /usr/local	1024MB
> > /export		1536MB
> > /export/apache	2048MB
> > /export/db	2560MB
> > swap		128 MB
>
> This is a horrible mess, and you are talking about doing things like compiling
> in /usr?  You should always do compiles in the user dirs as a user, never as
> root.

I agree that we do compiles as a user, but /usr/src is the common place to
do them.

> And this /export partition nonsense looks totally nonstandard and hell
> to admin.

I agree with Dan.  This is smelling like a Solaris install and is
completely unstandard.  /export isn't even in that Linux FileSystem
Standard.

> I like to make a huge /home partion myself and have everything on
> the box that changes there, including src and DB's (except system stuff that

I personally think having a /home/src is kinda hokey IMHO.  Once thing to
consider though, is that if we ever get more disks, we'll want to
separate, /home from the src dir. Compiling is very disk intensive and
will slow down serving pages.  And some things have to be in /usr/src.
(kernel for instance).

> should be in /var, /tmp, and /etc).  It makes backups and administration so
> much easier than having to travel all over the partitions trying to figure out
> what's changing and what's not.

Agreed.

> Just my opinions.
>
> > /home -> /export/home
> > /tmp -> /var/tmp
>
> Is it really a good idea to symlink dirs that are used constantly?  Doesn't
> that create unnecessary overhead?  Not much, but it probably ads up on two of
> the most used dirs on the box.

I dunno about that.  Can't be significant.   RAID1 I'm sure will have more
overhead in writes.  Like I said, this may be a horrible idea.

Another thing- /usr/local at 1GB is huge.  Remember this is just the
compiled binaries.  No code or documents.  512MB should be plenty.

Hence I suggest:

/	            256 MB (includes 24MB rescue image for RAID)
/var                512 MB
/tmp		    384 MB
/usr                1024 MB
/usr/src	    1024 MB
/usr/local  	    512 MB
/home		    5378 MB
swap                128 MB

- --
Aaron Turner           | Either which way, one half dozen or another.
aturner@pobox.com      | Check out the Red Hat Linux User's FAQ Online!
www.pobox.com/~aturner | http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/RedHat-FAQ/
All emails from this account are PGP signed.  Lack of a signature is "bad".
PGP Key fingerprint = FB E1 CE ED 57 E4 AB 80  59 6E 60 BF 45 1B 20 E8