Re: VA Pics

On Thu, Dec 31, 1998 at 10:24:12AM -0800, Aaron D. Turner wrote:
> I agree that we do compiles as a user, but /usr/src is the common place to

Isn't /usr/src only for the source that came with the distribution, and
/usr/local the place to do compiles for all added and updated programs?

> I personally think having a /home/src is kinda hokey IMHO.  Once thing to

I agree here.  I don't do it this way.  I have each user that admins a
particular src set have them put it in a sys/src dir in their own directories,
with readable access so that others can snag the code and recompile if
necessary.  This may be messy for our implementation, though.  Usually I am
the only real admin on my boxes ;)

> Another thing- /usr/local at 1GB is huge.  Remember this is just the

We may need 1GB here for /usr/local/src, if we go that route.  But then again,
if we go that route /usr/local/src should probably be a seperate partition
instead of /usr/src.  Hmmm...

> /	            256 MB (includes 24MB rescue image for RAID)
> /var                512 MB
> /tmp		    384 MB
> /usr                1024 MB
> /usr/src	    1024 MB
> /usr/local  	    512 MB
> /home		    5378 MB
> swap                128 MB

This is much closer to how I would set up the linux partitions, it looks much
more standard and more sensible.  I usually don't break up the usr dirs, but
doing so would be good if we are storing sources in the usr tree.

--

Daniel E. Markle

Linux - The OS of the future.
Windows - Still using that legacy OS?