Re: "Linux Knowledge Base"

On Thu, 24 Dec 1998, Micah Yoder wrote:

> "Aaron D. Turner" wrote:
>
> > Site design\gfx
> > Forms/CGI's for adding content
>
> I can help with that.

Great.  Write me seperately what you're comfortable with and what you've
done in the past.  We'll start figuring out how to divide the work.

[snip]

> > I'm willing to take the forms/cgi if no one else feels capable.  I will
> > need one other dedicated person to help code or it's going to take a long
> > time.  (Preferably someone with experiance with the DBI Perl module
> > interface.)  Lenz?  You sound like you have some solid script
> > capabilities with some DB experiance... :-)
>
> I've worked with Perl and PHP accessing Postgres, so assuming there's
> good Perl DBI docs, I should be fine.  But if someone wants to get
> started and write one, an example would be even better than the docs!
> :-)

The perldoc is quite good for modules generally.  You may want to invest
in the O'Reilly "Perl Resource Kit" ($100) which is a 4 volume set of the
most popular perldocs.  If you like reading dead trees, it's an awesome
reference.  As long as I have someone helping me code who has some decent
DB experience to tell me when my coding ideas are never going to work,
that's good enough for me.  Do you have any CGI.pm experiance?

> > I'll also need to work closely with the site designer, so someone needs to
> > take that responsibility ASAP.  If people are comfortable with my friend
> > Mike doing the design that's fine.  I'd like one other person to be a
> > sounding board for him though (he's just not getting enough feedback from
> > the list in general).  Micah, are you up for this?
>
> I don't necessarily have a good eye for looks, but if he wants to run
> things by me, that's fine.  I can be harsh though...if it's too big and
> will take too long to load, that's what I'm looking for and I'll say it.

Don't worry about the loading size too much.  Both Mike and Alan (my
friend doing the logo) have a lot of experience playing with images so
they compress well but retain their quality.  Harsh is good as long as
it's constructive.  If you don't like it say so.  But if you don't feel
qualified, then hopefully someone else will take this.  (I'll keep you
plenty busy writing Perl! :-)

- --
Aaron Turner           | Either which way, one half dozen or another.
aturner@pobox.com      | Check out the Red Hat Linux User's FAQ Online!
www.pobox.com/~aturner | http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/RedHat-FAQ/
All emails from this account are PGP signed.  Lack of a signature is "bad".
PGP Key fingerprint = FB E1 CE ED 57 E4 AB 80  59 6E 60 BF 45 1B 20 E8