Re: CVS Proposal II

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Daniel E. Markle wrote:

> In implementing the CVS stuff, I have found that some of the ideas I had about
> the modularization will be difficult to impliment at best.  The idea of
> seperating the dynamic and static elements in particular won't work due to the
> close relation between the two.

Good point.

> This also should not be necessary, as things
> like news items should be updatable via on-site pages that update the database.

By "on-site pages" I assume you mean admin webforms/cgi's?

> I also needed to update it to reflect our new three-step process.  Here is my
> revised proposal:

[snip]

One thing that this format does though is sorta put us in a software
development mode.  TST is basically a code freeze on new features for the
entire site (because it's one module).  Would be be better off making
modules for each "part" of the site?  Kinda like what you did with the
bizfinder.  Some ideas:

BizFinder
Article Submission
Question Submission
News Submission
Review Submission (review books, software packages, hardware, etc)
Site Search (maybe this should be broken up more?)
Admin (pages that we use to manage/maintain the site...)
Main (if each section is a spoke in the site, this would be the hub)

Also, note that we'd no longer have a "cgi" module, each module above
would integrate CGI's, static html, forms, images, etc. as well as admin
specific forms/CGI's.

- --
Aaron Turner           | Either which way, one half dozen or another.
aturner@pobox.com      | Check out the Red Hat Linux User's FAQ Online!
www.pobox.com/~aturner | http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/RedHat-FAQ/
All emails from this account are PGP signed.  Lack of a signature is "bad".
PGP Key fingerprint = FB E1 CE ED 57 E4 AB 80  59 6E 60 BF 45 1B 20 E8