CVS Proposal II

In implementing the CVS stuff, I have found that some of the ideas I had about
the modularization will be difficult to impliment at best.  The idea of
seperating the dynamic and static elements in particular won't work due to the
close relation between the two.  This also should not be necessary, as things
like news items should be updatable via on-site pages that update the database.
I also needed to update it to reflect our new three-step process.  Here is my
revised proposal:

All production stuff would now be taken from the tst directory whenever the
admin tells the system to do so, via scripts that will save revision numbers
and provide a rollback procedure.  This script would also send mail to the list
telling us all that the main site has been updated:

tst.linuxkb.org
---------------
tst-main		tst.linuxkb.org/
tst-cgi			tst.linuxkb.org/cgi-bin
tst-bizfinder		tst.linuxkb.org/biz

These two would be glued together by a script that migrates the dev items over
to tst upon admin request for refinement pre-production.  This action would use
CVS to update the tst items and store the revision numbers of the files so that
a rollback is possible, although there will be no automated way to do this as
wiping out all of the refinements doesn't sound very useful on a module-wide
basis, only on a single file basis, so this file will be stored in the root
directory of the module and skipped by the production update script.

Since most people will be playing with these modules, there is no point in
appending anything to them:

dev.linuxkb.org
---------------
main			dev.linuxkb.org/
cgi			dev.linuxkb.org/cgi-bin
bizfinder		dev.linuxkb.org/biz

To handle developer's specific data, this module will be here:

devel			devel.linuxkb.org/

Here is where using CVS guides, site guidelines, etc. will be.  Stuff modified
here is instantly updated on the developer site, so it will be up to us to make
sure we don't break our own site.

Let me know what you think, or if you have better names for things, etc.  I
will work on implementing this stuff in the meantime.

--

Daniel E. Markle

Linux - The OS of the future.
Windows - Still using that legacy OS?