Re: Status update

Well said.

I agree, that none of the existing "KB's" have figured it out yet.  The
closest I've seen is: http://www.mediadrone.com/linux/ but they don't know
how to advertise (I found them in Letters to the Editor in the Linux
Journal).  They have other problems, that I'll leave as an exercise
the the reader. :-)  Right now though everyone knows:

linuxkb.cheek.com
www.linuxcare.com
www.redhat.com (what a joke though)

The biggest complaint I have with the sites is the interface is horrible.
Clearly our drill-down feature kicks butt.  LinuxCare is well advertised
but their site is too slow IMHO thanks to the tons of JavaScript and other
eye-candy.  Their search only interface is difficult at best.  Cheek is
probably the closest, (he even accepts recomendations from people to link
to) but even still, no direct user contributed content.

Anyways, enough of that. :-)

Our biggest problem will be to get people to submit answers.  People will
help if they already see a large number of entries.  It's a chicken-egg
thing.

I think we need three things:

1)  Those entry submission forms which Daniel has said he'd do.  (Daniel,
be sure people can do a file upload of the content of the answer.)

2)  Figure out a good way to start integrating man pages, LDP docs, etc to
the site.  It actually won't be that difficult to index, I'll even
volunteer to do it.  I just need to know how to get it integrated to the
MySQL DB.  Maybe we need #1 for this?

3)  The email->DB interface.  I'm eager to write this.  Which brings me to
the DB.  Jason, is: http://devel.linuxkb.org/db2.html up-to-date?  Also,
what fields are required?  Do we have a list of the meanings for the
various ID's?  I have no idea what to set Status->StatusID (int) to for
example.  Basically I can write the perl/procmail code, I just need to
know what the perl script needs to do DB-wise.  I'm an SQL baby so be
kind. ;-)

- --
Aaron Turner           | Either which way, one half dozen or another.
aturner@pobox.com      | Check out the Red Hat Linux User's FAQ Online!
www.pobox.com/~aturner | http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/RedHat-FAQ/
All emails from this account are PGP signed.  Lack of a signature is "bad".
PGP Key fingerprint = FB E1 CE ED 57 E4 AB 80  59 6E 60 BF 45 1B 20 E8