Re: Sybase ASE & server distribution

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Dana M. Diederich wrote:

> > Interesting article on Sybase's free SQL server for Linux.  This might be
> > worth looking into as MySQL does have a major flaw currently: a nasty
> > memory leak.  I know for a fact that Slashdot runs MySQL, and they've got
> > a script called 'fuck' that restarts it when memory starts filling up.  We
> > may not want to deal with that.
> That's odd, I've been running MySQL at Wal-Mart for many many months and
> the memory utilization has been quite stable.  It's still just using a few
> megs.  Maybe only certain versions have this problem?

I believe /. is running the latest version.  Apparently no one is sure
what is causing the leak- just that it's in MySQL.  Of course the chances
are that by the time we're doing /.'s kind of traffic, they'll have a fix
for the leak.

> Sybase, however, is going to have a lot of functions that MySQL just won't
> have.

I'll let you DBA's debate amoungst yourselves which is the best RDBMS for
this.  I'm just throwing out ideas in ignorance.

> > If we can get the IBM box here in Calif., NaviSite would provide us usage
> > of their shared Cisco Local Director farm.  This way both boxes would have
> > the same IP in DNS, but the LD would distribute the load according to the
> > percentages we define.  Also it automattically detects when a server goes
> > down for any reason, and redirects all requests to the remaining
> > server(s). Data replication issues become easier since both boxes are on
> > the same LAN too.
> Local Director can have problems with servers that are up, but that are
> malfunctioning.  This behaviour can be more common than first inspection
> reveals.
>
> This is an inherent limitation of LD: it only knows about the network layer.
> As long as the network is moving, LD thinks all is ok.

Gawd, Cisco still hasn't fixed that?  At Vicinity we use a product from
RND Networks which actually opens a HTTP port checks for an "OK" from the
server.  Unforetunately I can't swing a deal for usage of those.

> Don't get me wrong: LD is a life saver.  But it's an incomplete failover
> solution.
>
> > I think this is something we should seriously consider.  I've been running
> > the network for Vicinity's corporate site which has done in excess of 70
> > million page views a month and this is *the* way to do it IMHO.
> I concur.
>
> On a more personal note, my time is starting to free up now.  I'll try to be
> a little more active here.

Cool.  My time is going to go to near 0 in a few days due to finals.
Hopefully in a week or two I'll have more time than in the past.

Later,
Aaron

- --
Aaron Turner           | Either which way, one half dozen or another.
aturner@pobox.com      | Check out the Red Hat Linux User's FAQ Online!
www.pobox.com/~aturner | http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/RedHat-FAQ/
All emails from this account are PGP signed.  Lack of a signature is "bad".
PGP Key fingerprint = FB E1 CE ED 57 E4 AB 80  59 6E 60 BF 45 1B 20 E8