Re: Things to be done

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Jason Pincin wrote:

[snip]

> Users:
>
> * Signup Forms - Micah has completed to some extent.  They need to be
> modified to look like the layout I have designed on dev.  They need to be
> examined and fully fleshed out.
>
> * User Maintenance Forms - a system needs to be in place that allows each
> user to modify there user "profile" and options, as well as allow admins
> with proper security to modify any user status, etc.
>
> * User tracking - a generic system needs to be put in place that any page
> can include to figure out what user is accessing the page, and set proper
> variables based on that users options.

What is the purpose of this?  What characteristics do we want to track.
Do we need to track it *everywhere*?

> * Login Forms - forms need to be created to allow a user to login.

Since we're using http authentication, the server/browser will take care
of this for us.  No coding required.

> Categories:
>
> * Category/Application Maintenance - a system needs to be put in place
> that allows proper security level people to maintain categories as in
> add/remove, change hiearchy, change des's, etc.
>
> Search:
>
> * Search Pages - Being handled by me.  Need to interface with ht://dig and
> flesh out dynamic portions.

We'll need to work on this together.  There are two things here- the
search page, and the search results parser/reformatter.  If you do the
first, I'll do the second.

> There's more... but these are the most urgent.  I'll revamp this list as I
> see fit.

There's one other Apache/Mod_perl thing that I'm going to look into- a way
of throttling clients.  Basically a way of protecting ourselves from
spiders.  The mod_perl book (which I have on order) has some nice code
that I want to extend.  The idea is that if an IP makes more than X
requests in a given amount of time, that IP isn't human.  The code as it
is now is useful, but needs more features (like allow us to set IP's that
are good-guys and should never be denied, and IP's that are known bad-guys
and should always deny).

Anyways...  Once all that is done I'll decide if I will work on the email
interface or the business finder app.  Both will totally rock and make our
site completely unique.

- -Aaron