[seul-edu] (FWD) ipchains with squid (Re: What we're doing ...)

----- Forwarded message from owner-seul-edu@seul.org -----

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 14:36:13 -0700
From: "Daniel P. Kionka" <dan@kionka.org>
To: seul-edu@seul.org
Subject: ipchains with squid (Re: What we're doing ...)

Andy Hall wrote:
> Linux is only in use at server level in our small district (total 1130
> students k-12).  Running Apache as the web box and Squid and Squidtaild
> with ipchains to manage proxy and filtering/monitoring of web content.
> Does a nice job running hidden and monitoring.  Kids have no control over
> bypassing proxies.

How do you use ipchains to force using a proxy?  Someone earlier
mentioned it could be done, and made it sound simple, but when I tried
it, all network support stopped and I had to go to the console to fix
it.

What I have now is the basic MASQ setup.  I manually set the squid
proxy, but that can easily be undone.

Is the key to it blocking all outgoing traffic using port 80?  What if
the web site uses 8080?  Instead of blocking, can you redirect it to the
squid port?

Dan

----- End forwarded message -----