Re: Translation etc.

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Barret Dolph wrote:

[NON-Text Body part not included]

Well,  probably  I  could  help   better   than   anyone   from
english-speaking countries.

Though I can read tech English (and  every  sane  system  admin
does!), users are quite unhappy with that!

It's hard to advice what to translate first. I think,  that  at
first you must find out what is already  translated,  so  there
will be no double-effort.  As  I  understand,  command-line  is
nearly useless for Chineese because hardware can't  display  it
properly. This leaves only graphic mode.

It's good idea to  concentrate  on  internationalised  (by  Gnu
gettext) programs first. However, if you want  to  do  official
translations, some kind of disclaimer must be sent to FSF  look
at the GNU translation project page (I am sorry, I  forgot  the
URL) and then you will check-out some document  from  there  to
translate (which guarantees nobody else do the same).

And I know there already exist a Chineese translator's team!

Let me list things which I think could be helpful for _Russian_
Linux  users.  Probably  it  will  give  you  some  idea   what
prirorities are.

0. Linux setup docs  (even  step-by-step  instructions).  Local
language support docs. X Window setup.

1. Docs for  most  commonly  used  things  (like  Inet-browser,
text-editor, emailer, news-reader, graphic editor, spreadsheet)

2. Docs on how to make certain solutions (HOWTOs and FAQs), but
of course only those which will be read by  non-advanced  users
and newbies.

*

I think, maybe 5 years from now Docs will  be  written  in  the
Universal Net Language (where every term will  be  assigned  an
integer number), so technical translation will be much easier!

(I just wonder how poetry will look in UNL?

   1346 3434 4654
   99887 455778 5
   123 24 53 5805

;-)

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Russia * Karelia * Petrozavodsk
Sunday, January 24, 1999 * Powered by Linux RedHat 5.1