Re: Greetings

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9810311626300.17737-100000@shell5.ba.best.com>,
 aturner@best.com writes:
>Right now Cran looks like it will be the development server that we can
>try new things on without effecting the "live site".  Cran also runs the
>mail list and list archives.  The live site is likely to be hosted at

Actually, this isn't entirely true. Here's the summary of the seul machines
that are on-site at MIT. (There are a couple more around the country, such
as corsica.seul.org and sigma.seul.org.)

Belegost:
Dual P5/200mmx running at uni 166mhz currently
224 megs ram
2.1gig WD 11ms drive
6.5gig seagate 9ms drive
Runs majordomo/dns for all projects in the seul domain
Runs www.seul.org
Mirrors ftp.redhat.com (rh42, rh51, contrib) at www.mirrors.seul.org

Moria:
K6/200, 128 megs ram, 3.2gig drive. Roger's personal server, can function
as backup when necessary.

Cran:
AMD 586/133, 32 megs ram, 1.5gig drive.
Initial mx for all seul domains (passes majordomo traffic to belegost)
Serves web, ftp, cvs for seul subprojects

>NaviSite running on a dedicated VA Research server or a Compaq Proliant
>800.  I'm actually in the process of working out the deals with NaviSite
>and VA Research.

What will the story be for these in terms of security/admin? Will the
company providing the machine maintain its security? (do we trust them
to do it correctly?) Will they give us root, so we can update things?

--Roger