Re: Simple solution to voting problem?

Robert Myers wrote:

> Why do you want to put things to a file instead of to the database?
>
> If you put these things in the base it should be easier for us to deal
> with regarding searching for dups and the like.

I don't think we should permanently store every vote and IP.  Only have
a way to check for obvious dups, like if someone clicks 'yes' twice or
more, or runs a script like the one I posted.

If we only allowed one vote per IP per article, it would be unfair to a
lot of people, like people behind firewalls or large IP masq sites.  And
people with dynamic IPs could easily vote more than once if they wanted
to (and there's NO way to fix that in any case).

This would be sufficient, I believe.  Processing it would be faster and
take less code.  As soon as the script processes the log file, it would
be nuked...

Or can you give a reason why we SHOULD permanently store all this?

Actually....... the Web log will do all this for us!  We don't even have
to write a seperate script file!  The script could just process the web
log.