Re: VA Pics

> BTW, before I do anything drastic, (like delete the partitions and start
> from scratch)  How should this thing be partitioned?
>
> We've got two 9GB disks.  I was planning on setting up mirroring on these
> (printing out the software raid & boot raid howto's now).  I was thinking
> 500M for root, 128M for swap.  Not sure what to do with the rest 8+GB.  Do
> we want one large partition, or do we want to split things up more???

Well, the usual would be to have a seperate partition for /var, and
possibly /usr/local (that probably is a good idea - we could put stuff
like ht://dig there, as well as our custom Apache, then we could upgrade
root with the next version of Linux without worrying).

Perhaps a seperate partition for our Web root and static HTML pages.

Does MySQL store its data in /var?  Postgres does when you use the RPM.
Not sure how good an idea that is.

Anyway, a lot depends on the database and what we store in it.  So
you're now saying that we're going to store the article text in the DB.
That would make a HUGE /var, or whever the DB is stored.

Won't we also be storing the text in static HTML format?  If so, I'm not
sure if 9GB is gonna be enough for very long.  :-)

And then there's the ht://dig DB.  Perhaps it should be seperate too, I
dunno.

How about 4GB for the Web static & ht://dig and 4GB for the DB???

> I'm planning on RH 5.2 with the latest VAR "special" modular kernel
> (2.0.36).

We're *this* close to 2.2.0 - why not just use it?  And how is VAR's
kernel special?