Re: VA Pics

> BTW, before I do anything drastic, (like delete the partitions and start
> from scratch)  How should this thing be partitioned?
> We've got two 9GB disks.  I was planning on setting up mirroring on these
> (printing out the software raid & boot raid howto's now).  I was thinking
> 500M for root, 128M for swap.  Not sure what to do with the rest 8+GB.  Do
> we want one large partition, or do we want to split things up more???

Yeah... RAID1 looks pretty easy to set up.  I was looking over it just the
other day as I'm getting ready to set up RAID-0 on my home box.  I think
RAID-1 root (/) may be a little tricky but doable... let me know if you
hit any pitfalls doing that and how it turns out.

As far as partitioning... here's my recomendations (I.E. opinion):

/		384 MB - This is as big as I like to make root
/var		512 MB - Plenty space for var and keeps logs trim
/usr		2560MB - 2.5GB for plenty of src room
/home		5120MB - Bulk of space as this is where most will live
swap		128 MB
unpartitioned	512 MB

It's always good to leave some un-partitioned space in case we don't
forsee a problem... if we need to break something out or expand a
partition size it's a lot easier with a few hundred un-allocated megs.

Other (maybe obvious) suggestions:

No X on the box
All possible devel tools (non-X)
No lpr or printing installed
etc. etc.

Not sure what everyone's preferences are but here are some of mine:

Front-end process such as Apache, FTP, CVS, etc. reside in /home
Backend such as MySQL and others reside in /usr/local...
Although in this case we may want to have the data dirs under MySQL
residing on /home somewhere with a soft link back to /usr/local/mysql/data

At any rate.  Let me know your thoughts on all that.

> I'm planning on RH 5.2 with the latest VAR "special" modular kernel
> (2.0.36).

Sounds good.  RedHat all the way man.

Jason