Re: "Linux Knowledge Base"

In message <Pine.BSF.4.05.9812261526060.27109-100000@shell5.ba.best.com>,
 aturner@best.com writes:
>> Is 'Dr. Tux' a widespread thing, or something we thought of?
>
>I don't think we should use something generic like "Dr. Tux" or "Dr.
>Linux", for exactly that reason.  Nothing is new under the sun as far as
>names goes anymore.  Make what we add to it mean something or we'll end up
>assocaiting ourselves with something we don't like.

Well, if that's the only other dr tux around, I'm sure you guys can
coordinate and decide on a single logo. Then he can be in both places.
We're all friends here.

>Personally I'd go with "The Linux Knowledge Base Org" or with Roger's
>permission, "The Linux Knowledge Base by SEUL".  Basically, assoicate
>ourselves with ourselves or with something we know.

Er, yeah, that could work. My instinct says that you can just sort of
make a linux knowledge base, and it'll all work out. Especially if you
can come to an agreement with the other place. I don't think anything
can be decided really until you have the irc meeting with this guy.
I might be able to make Monday 2200est, more likely Tuesday 2200est.

I don't really have a good feel for how many people know about
seul. I suspect it's rather a large number, given that we were in
the halloween2 document. I've been doing my best to make seul an
'established' project, but I don't have any objective idea of how
many people know about us. But if you wanted to associate yourself
more closely with seul (and you think that would gain you something),
go for it.

As for defining 'atomicity', basically an operation is atomic when
it happens all at once. That is, nothing can happen concurrently
with it (or if something is concurrent, then one of them happens
then the other (or at least, it looks and behaves that way from the
outside)), so you don't have to worry about locking issues, etc.
MySQL's pretty good about that.

--Roger