Re: Hosting oses.org (fwd)

I was going to ask our buddies at NaviSite for another IP for Yukon for
the thttpd image server (so it can run on port 80).  No reason I can't ask
for a second one.  I'm not sure if we can/would want to do a DNS virtual
host with Zope, but that is another option as well.

But...

I'm a little bit concerned with the memory consumption of the Apache
daemons.  Zope + PHP + mod_perl makes for large processes.  Also Zope is
still beta while PHP and mod_perl are pretty stable.  Not sure what will
happen with all 3 compiled in.

Another option (and my first choice) is to run a separate Apache/Zope
daemon on this new IP.  No virtual hosts necessary, and we can tune it
specifically for oses.org's needs.  Since we have a gig of RAM, I'm more
worried about how Zope effects Apaches stability than mem leaks.  It would
also provide Jason a test environment for his own Zope testing.

Now most of this is pretty speculative.  I don't really know how much Zope
adds to the process size or if it has mem leaks or other problems, yada,
yada, yada...

Lastly, oses.org is free to/encouraged to use our thttpd server to serve
images.  thttpd is a lot smaller/faster than Apache for serving statics.
The url will likely be something like:  http://images.oses.org/oses/
I don't know how OSES will be posting data to our server, but the imagedir
is /home/thttp/oses/

Anyways, hopefully I'll get the new IP's Friday or Monday and have the new
severs configured/running shortly after that.

-Aaron, your friendly sysadmin

--
Aaron Turner, Core Developer       http://vodka.linuxkb.org/~aturner/
Linux Knowledge Base Organization  http://linuxkb.org/