Re: Static Site Alternative

Apache also has a proxy built-in that I think does the same thing too.

Once nice advantage of Squid though is that you can share your cache with
others.  Thus, in the future we could have mirror sites that are nothing
more than squid proxy servers... or so my logic says. ;^)

Anyways, right now, my opinion is this:

Most people are going to use the search engine.  The drill down will be
used too a lot too.  The real bottleneck for most high-traffic web servers
is RAM not CPU.  You need enough httpd processes and enough free RAM to
fork() your search engine without swapping.  Once you swap to serve a
request you're hosed big time.

Chris at VA has told me flat out that if/when we need more RAM or a second
CPU it's ours.  Chris is also a bit worried that we're taking so long
(month 4 and counting).

Hence, let's get the site going ASAP.  We've all agreed that 6-12 months
from now it's going to require a total rewrite anyways.  So if making the
site more dynamic will give us a quicker go-live date, let's do it.  If we
start getting hosed we can look into getting more hardware, some sort of
proxy, or moving to static pages.

I'm not saying that we should do dynamic pages.  I am saying that we
should do which method requires the least amount of time.

- --
Aaron Turner           | Either which way, one half dozen or another.
aturner@pobox.com      | http://www.pobox.com/~aturner/

"There is no worse tyranny than to make a man pay for something he does
not want merely because you think it would be good for him."
- -Benjamin Franklin

All emails from this account are PGP signed.  Lack of a signature is "bad".
PGP Key fingerprint = FB E1 CE ED 57 E4 AB 80  59 6E 60 BF 45 1B 20 E8