Re: gEDA-user: Functional blocks and PCB format changes

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:57:11AM -0400, Ethan Swint wrote:

> Every time I run against it, I'm still in disbelief that, in this
> era, some of our most powerful and useful tools are restricted to
> one character for parsing, and that one character is furthermore
> restricted to newline!

Two things:

  1. Our most powerful and useful tools haven't changed fundamentally
     in the last 30-40 years, which often means a lot of historical
     oddities.

  2. You can change $IFS or pass flags or insert commands to work around
     newlines if you really want; it's just a PITA.

However, regardless of tool behaviour, it's easier for humans to grok
a format with liberal use of newlines. So this isn't just a case of us
Unix-tards not getting with the times.

Andrew