Re: gEDA-user: PCB is extremely slow

Randall Nortman wrote:
On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:34:33PM -0400, Ales Hvezda wrote:

[snip]

My system is an x86_64 (Athlon64 3000) with 1GB SDRAM running
up-to-date Gentoo in 64-bit mode and xfce4/xfwm4.  One thing just
occurred to me -- I run both gschem and acroread under a 32-bit chroot
environment, since I can't get them to run in 64-bit mode.  This could
have something to do with my problem.

I'm curious, why doesn't gschem run in 64-bit mode?

Actually, with gschem the problem is that it won't compile in 64-bit
mode, at least not with Gentoo's packaging of it (and the rest of
gEDA), at least not last time I tried.  It might be worth trying
again, or trying to compile the distribution directly myself, rather
than using Gentoo's scripts.  Apparently others have done so.

I've always compiled gschem for 64 bit systems since I started using it:

dan@alpha 131 % file /usr/pkg/bin/gschem
/usr/pkg/bin/gschem: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, Alpha (unofficial), version 1 (SYSV), for NetBSD 2.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

-Dan