Re: gEDA-user: footprint

watashi_metan@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,
I'm now developing some hardware and I have some problems with
footprints.
I'm working with smd 74hcxxx chips witch IMHO have SOXX footprints. Then
when I add 7400 into schematics and set footprint to SO14 it runs
correct. SO32
works well too. But when I try to add 74373 ( witch have 20 pads ) and
set footprint to SO20 then gsch2pcb said:

can't find PCB element for footprint SO20 (value=unknown)

Where is the problem?

There is no single "SO20". PCB has a SO20N, SO20M, and SO20W corresponding to 150, 200, and 300 mil widths. This underscores a very important point. Be sure to always double check your footprints. This is important because

1) There may be more than one package with the same name but different dimensions. For example, SO-20 is not enough information. ##-pin QFN is another since there may be two different pin pitches for a QFN that has the same pin count. If you're using IPC-7351 names there is much less of a problem but at least right now, the libraries that come with PCB only have IPC names for things like chip resistors and capacitors.

2) Whoever made the footprint may have messed up. It is easy to do and I've seen both free and commercial footprints with errors.

3) Your vendor may use non-standard pin numbering (CEL and their SOT-23's for example).

4) Your manufacturing process may want some different sizes. For example, IPC-7351 specifies a 3-tier library for Least, Nominal, and Most material conditions. This just means that there is a range of sizes for the pads even for footprints covered by standards.

-Dan