Re: gEDA-user: PCB view solder side

> From: Bill WIlson <billw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/05/02 Tue PM 08:32:32 EEST
> To: geda-user@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: gEDA-user: PCB view solder side
>
> On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:17:34 +0300
> Tamas Varga <motty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I was so suprised by this reply that I hadn't replied for a couple of days waiting for some other responses. But as they never came here it is now.
> >
> > I don't think I'm wrong about my statement. At least in my pcb-20060422 compilation the behaviour of the "view solder side" has definitely changed compared to the previous (pcb-20060321 and a few older) versions that I used. In the older versions when I view the solder side then the upper and lower parts of the board swap places, while if I do this in the new version then the left and right. This is very disorienting for me. Additionally all my arranged solder side SMD component designator strings are printed up-side-down.
> >
> > Could anybody confirm that the "view solder side" has been changed?
> >
> > Is there any way to configure PCB to use the old method?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > motty
> >
> > > From: Xtian Xultz <xultz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > Date: 2006/04/28 Fri AM 12:23:23 EEST

> > > PCB allways flipped in the vertical axis, unfortunatelly, because flipping in
> > > the horizontal axis is much better...
>
> The flipping did change and the reason is that, well, my view is that flipping
> left to right is more natural - probably because I tend to read and flip pages
> left to right :-)
>
> You were saying flipped "around" the vertical axis while Xtian said flipped
> "in" the vertical axis so I'm supposing it was just a confusion of wording
> where flipping "around" is flipping left to right while flipping "in" is doing
> it top to bottom.
>
> There's currently no option for the old behavior, and the upside down printing
> on the solder side is a bug.
>
> Bill

Thanks you for the reply.

By up-side-down printing I meant how the designators are displayed on the screen after the flip axis change. I haven't checked the actual ps/gerber outputs.

Actually, I think if the flip axis is changed intentionally then the texts really should now appear up-side-down. So, I think this is not caused by a bug, but by the decision of the axis switch.

Any chance for a setting for the flip axis? After this change all existing designs will have this problem with the up-side-down designators.

Thanks again.

motty