Re: gEDA-user: Newbiw...with a question *shocker*

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 09:47:57 -0400, Lombardi, Robert wrote:

> Rather than placing these things one by one i was wondering if there
> might be a way to automate the process using the Command Entry line?

There is no real scripting available in pcb. It is on the wish list of
many people, though.

What I would do is:

1) place a single LED at some outstanding position, say at (100, 100)

2) open the *.pcb file in a text editor

3) Find the footprint of the LED. It will be some Element Tag near the
end of the file.

4) Look up the meaning of the parameters in Stuarts description of the
pcb format
(page 14 of http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/land_patterns_20070818.pdf)

5) Do some copy-paste magic with your preferred scripting tool (awk,
perl, eamacs), that allows you to change the coordinates of the
footprints with each copy.

6) reload in pcb.

> I was thinking some kind of a batch file using "Select(ElementByName,
> D1) and then a "MoveObject(x,y)".

The particular ability to do a multi-copy of objects is on my wishlist
for pcb too...

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak