Re: gEDA-user: geda tarball

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:24:53 -0500, Ian Chapman wrote:

> I have looked into glib a bit and
> http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Libraries/GLib2-2653.shtml
> has a number of different versions of glib.  It looks to be a basic
> building block.  This seems to be missing from the Ubuntu pack manager.

The corresponding package are called libglib2.0.*. The runtime version of
this lib is very likely already installed on your box. If you want to
build geda from source you need the development versions of various
packages too. In this case libglib2.0-dev

> Is this what I need or does ubuntu have it with a different name.  gtk
> has a slightly modified name "gtk2-engines v 1.2.12 obuntu"
                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is just the package of the theme engines which provide eye candy.
Look for libgtk2.0* to check which version of gtk you have installed.
Most likely it is 2.12 or 2.14. Again, you need the development packages
if you want to build geda from source.

> I also re-installed ubuntu gEDA and the apps/edu/gschem start_up tab
> returned but it would not run so I disinstalled it.

You are pretty fast with disinstall. Did you try to start gschem on the
command line? Was there any message on the command line when it failed to
start? How about pcb?

> I guess that I have snagged something.

You may need to adjust your administrative skills to linux and get rid of
the windows way of install/remove/reinstall/reboot routine.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211