Re: gEDA-user: New version of gEDA Suite availabl

Stuart Brorson wrote:

I would be interested in
hearing experiences of other distro users.

I tried the install on a SuSe 9.3. A previous installation has been done on this system so many of the "system" packages were already present.

Here's what I found --

12/14/06

- Having the install forced to run as a user other than root seems to be a
constraint. Not everyone wants to put the install files and executables in
${HOME}/geda-install. This approach makes it very difficult to put it in a
more universally accessible location like /usr/local/bin. (Think of a system
with more than one user.)

- gtkwave install breaks with this error:

Failure executing command "tar -zxvf gtkwave-3.0.7.tar.gz", ReturnCode = 2
In ErrorQuitWindow_10.

which in the verbose log seems to be caused by:

tar: gtkwave-3.0.7/man: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
tar: gtkwave-3.0.7/man: Cannot change mode to rwxr-xrwx: Operation not permitted
tar: gtkwave-3.0.7: Cannot utime: Operation not permitted
(repeated several times)

Having the gtkwave installation fail in this manner probably shouldn't kill the
whole installer.

- gnucap would not build. Since I don't need it at the moment I skipped over
it.

- pcb doesn't install. The logic for checking for libjpeg and libgif still
appears to be broken. It appears that if you have support already in place
for png *and* gif *and* jpeg the install will finish. Otherwise it will
fail. I haven't found a way to pass in a flag to the installer from the
beginning to tell it to disable lesstif, gif, png, or jpeg so that it can
succeed in some form.

Joe T