gEDA-user: Help! Text is totally hosed after using CVS version of gschem!

Help!

I recently downloaded & installed the version of gschem available in
the CVS tree.   I saved a couple of schematics using the CVS version.
Today, I reverted back to the official 20030901 release.  Now, when I
look at the attributes of objects in my schematic, all text (attrib
names & values) are totally garbled up -- they are just garbage
characters!!!    Arrrgh!!!

I believe that support for Unicode in the CVS version has mangled my
text.  Is this correct?  When I look at the .sch files using "less"
and "emacs", the text looks fine.  AFAIK, these program don't do
anything special for unicode, right?  Is there anything I can do to
make the 20030901 version correctly display text again?

Stuart