gEDA-user: gschem: Modifier keys for moving?

If my memory is correct, there are plans (have seen a patch at geda-dev
long time ago?) to allow moving of objects without need of selecting
them first for gschem1.8, as suggested in my draft
http://www.ssalewski.de/PetEd.png

Would it make sense to have modifier keys for moving? I would like
rubberband mode for plain move, and no rubberband when SHIFT is hold
down. I think currently we have to type "or" or use pulldown menu -- at
least there should be an icon for fast toggling.

And of course, there should be much more, i.e a combo-box for grid size
with default values 100, 50, 25, 10 and entry field for custom values.
(why these void area on the right of the 10 icons in gschem GUI?)