Re: gEDA-user: Wireless comms options

On 08/08/2011 15:50, John Griessen wrote:
> On 08/08/11 06:21, Chris Smith wrote:
>> I'm guessing that composite will be easier to work with?
>
> Depends on the video sender products you find.  If there's one for analog,
> that's problem solved.  Do you have plenty of power at both ends?

I think so, yes.  The transmitter will be run off a car/bike battery and
the receiver most likely off a set of lithium cells.

>> Google shows that there are plenty of video sender products out there,
>> most of which seem to operate at 1.7-1.9GHz or 2.4GHz.
>
> Analog or data?  With the compression you said was available, data might
> use less power and be cheaper modules...  You haven't said much about
> the compression.
> Does H.264 completely define it?  Are there modes of operation all
> called H.264?

Given the requirements I've decided to go analog and simply transmit the
composite signal.  Using digital compression would needlessly complicate
the receiver, which is really just a dumb display.

The consumer products I've seen do just that: take a composite/component
signal, transmit it over the air and turn it back into
composite/component.  Transmitter and receiver are usually paired using
channel selection.

Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@xxxxxxxxxx>