Re: gEDA-user: wishful UI

John Griessen wrote:

1) Assign unique "refdes" value to all netlistable
   logical symbols in the schematic. If the
   logical symbol is one of several in a
   "PHYSICAL_package", then assgined "refdes"
   to each logical symbol such as "Uxx_yy";
   where yy is the value to identify
   a particular "LOGICAL_SYMBOL" among several
   within a "PCB_PACKAGE"; and xx value is the
   ID to differentiate among all "PCB_PACKAGE"
   for your design. Uxx is what you want to
see in your PCB netlist.
maybe I misunderstand something here, but if you want to say
'_' in Uxx_yy is actually a separator you should come up with a positive definition
of what a standard refdes can be made of.

The sloopy way chars get assigned special meanings with all sorts of identifiers
in geda really annoys me - and imho bites everyone in the long run.
The above example would make another step to:

"you may not use ':' in blah, unless foo is set to 5, and '-' can bit you in some circumstances. I can assure you that '_' is valid in refdes, unless it's used for a bus in which case... Depending on the phase of the moon, '/' in an identifier can mean either:..."