Re: gEDA-user: Halp! PCB crashing on my design

Ben Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:45:04PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>> http://members.cox.net/ebrombaugh1/synth/dsPICfun2/dsPICfun2.pcb.tgz
>> I've reproduced this, it's the usual b->contours bug.
>
> It is crashing because the polygon dicer is trying to cut a polygon
> through its first hole
>  It's caused by the
> cluster of vias near C109.  If you draw a small poly on the solder side
> just over that "southern cross" of vias you can see it clears badly.
>
> The problem line appears to be the "C" shaped trace on the solder layer.
> If you delete it and redraw it (at least the way I happend to redraw it)
> you can have the polygon....
>
> Aha!  The longest 45 degree line in that trace is actually two co-linear
> lines.  It's not supposed to be possible to create them, and I've known
> it to cause trouble with the polygon code before.  You can easily see it
> if you use the move tool on it.  If you move them out of a straight line,
> or get rid of the vertex, or just totally redraw it, everything works.

Indeed - Upon closer examination of that area I see that even the latest
CVS version is having trouble with the geometry in that area, shorting
some of it out to the plane. Replacing the co-linear lines with a single
line appears to fix the problem.

> I'd be curious to know how you drew that line, if you recall :)  If you
> have a lot of cvs revisions I'd also like to know if it got split at
> some point along the way after the initial drawing.

Oh - now you're asking _me_ to do some work. :)

Unfortunately my CVS versions aren't fine-grained enough to catch how
that happened. Knowing me though, I was editing a more complex set of
lines and just straightened out a vertex.

Thanks for looking into this in such detail - I'm learning a lot by
trying to follow along...

Eric