gEDA-user: gEDA and ubuntu

   I have been using ubuntu for the last year or so and was delighted to
   find that someone had made all the current gEDA packages available
   from the package servers. Who ever did this
   Thankyou,Thankyou,Thankyou. It makes it so much easier to get
   everything up and running.
   But in the past I could always customize my system by putting on my
   superuser cloak and hacking all the system config files. This is a
   problem when using a package installer because if a update is ever
   pushed out in the future then you lose all your customizations. It is
   also a problem if you live on a multiuser system and find that other
   users do not all want the same custom tweaks.
   I tried copying system-gschemrc into my local directory but wasn't
   able to get it to override the system settings. Is it possible to do
   this from a users directory?
   I also was shocked, SHOCKED to learn that some of the documentation as
   to configuring system files was inaccurate on an ubuntu install. I
   would be willing to update this to the correct info assuming that I
   can figure out what is or is not correct and how to install and use
   dokuwiki.
   John Eaton