Re: gEDA-user: Phase and Magnitude of Current

 On Fri 04/10/09  2:25 PM , John Doty jpd@xxxxxxxxx sent:

> On Apr 10, 2009, at 11:04 AM, awchang2
> @buffalo.edu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have this assignment for a circuit analysis
> class. We're supposed  > to use pspice, but I'm having a couple of
> problems using the software.>
> > We're supposed to find the magnitude and phase
> of I, I_C, and I_L.  > So I loaded up my netlist into ngspice, and I
> performed a transient  > analysis with a step size of 5 ns and a duration
> of 200 ns:>
> > ngspice -> tran 5ns 200ns
>
> While it is possible to use transient analysis for this purpose, AC
> analysis is easier for a linear circuit like this.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but my TA wants us to use a transient analysis, for some reason.

As for doing it by hand, and how it's overkill to use ngspice, I know. But that's what the assignment asks for.
I guess it's to practice using ngspice...

It also wants it done by hand. For that portion, I'm using KVL, Ohm's Law, and complex impedance.

> > It gave me the voltage, which is good and all,
> but how do I get the  > magnitude and phase of the current without doing
> it by hand
> There's a trick: in SPICE, a voltage source of zero volts functions
> as a current meter.

Okay, so I can't seem to get it to work. Here's my netlist:

* Spice netlister for gnetlist
V1 4 1 DC 0
Vs 1 0 sin(0 56.56 477.5)
V3 6 3 DC 0
R2 5 6 1k
V2 5 2 DC 0
R1 4 5 1.5k
L 0 2 0.333
C 0 3 0.167uF
.END

when I try to do something like:

print mag(I(V1)) ph(I(V1))

it returns:

Error: no such function as I.

Thanks so much, so far Stuart Brorson and John Doty.