Re: gEDA-user: Open VHDL Simulators?

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:04:38 -0700
Stephen Williams <steve@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As you know, this year's Icarus Verilog GSoC candidate is working
> on a VHDL code generator back-end for Icarus Verilog. Hooray!
> But suddenly the obvious question comes up, "How are we going to
> run these generated files?" I'm here looking for suggestions.
>
> Has anybody here used ghdl? freehdl? Relative merits? Which is
> most active? The most portable? Easiest to use?
>
> It just seems like ghdl has the most activity associated with it,
> but FreeHDL doesn't look completely dead either. So what to choose?

I tried ghdl once or twice in the past (many many years back)
and am still lurking on its mailinglist. Development seems
to have slown down recently, but has still some progress.
(i guess it's because it's mostly feature complete for
the author).

I've never gotten freehdl working when i tried to use
(around the same time as ghdl). And never heard of it
since.

HTH

			Attila Kinali

--
The true CS students do not need to know how to program.
They learn how to abstract the process of programming to