gEDA-user: PCB testers needed

I got a whopping 1 response to this request a month ago but I figured I try again... This is good opportunity for active PCB users to help out!

I have implemented user defined menus for the gtk HID for pcb. The menus are read from a resource file on startup just like in the lesstif HID. Instead of looking for "pcb-menu.res", the gtk HID looks for "gpcb-menu.res" in the same locations. The reason for a different name is that the organization of the default menus for the lesstif HID is different than the gtk HID. However, the goal is for the menu resource files to be compatible. By this I mean you should be able to do something like

ln -s pcb-menu.res gpcb-menu.res

and have both the lesstif and gtk HID's have the same set of menus and hotkeys.

One goal I had was to not change much in the way of the menu layout or hotkeys from what is currently in the CVS HEAD for the gtk hid. Despite this, I do expect there will be a few changes.

One visible change is that all hotkeys are now defined through the menus. You'll see that under the "Info" menu, there is a "Key bindings" submenu. That is a "catch-all" place where all of the key bindings that aren't already assigned to the "normal" menus go. It has the side effect of providing an online reference.

To try out the new menus, update to the "usermenu" branch.

Do this by either

cvs update -PdA -r usermenu

from your pcb source tree, or check out a new working copy somewhere else with:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/pcb login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:/cvsroot/pcb co -P -r usermenu pcb

then

./configure --disable-doc
gmake
cd src
./pcbtest.sh

The changes to get to this point were fairly far reaching and intrusive so I'd really really like feedback from some active users before I merge this work back to the trunk.

What I'd specifically like feedback on are:

1) menus/hotkeys which worked in pcb-20070208 with the gtk HID and are broken now

2) any other wierd behaviour relating to menus or hotkeys that is different from pcb-20070208.

3) does this build with gtk >= 2.8.0 and if so, does the "Center()" action (bound to 'C') work?

Feel free to substitute current cvs head for 20070208.

My goal is to get the usermenu branch up to the same level of functionality as what was in pcb-20070208 or current cvs head before merging the branch back to the head. While I care about bugs and other usability problems which existed in 20070208 and the cvs head, I don't want to try and address those until after issues which are specific to the usermenu branch are dealt with.

Known issues:

- Mouse section in the resource file is ignored. I need to learn about how the mouse buttons are handled in the gtk HID currently so I can hook up that section.

- A fair amount of now obsolete code still exists in gui-top-window.c. I need to do some major house keeping.

There is a file, src/todo which lists the remaining known issues with the usermenu branch.

While I don't think this branch has any major instabilities in it, it should still be treated as alpha quality. So please make backups of any of your work! You have been warned!

I'd love to merge this before the code sprint on saturday (or maybe as part?) but will hold off if problems are found.

Thanks
-Dan