Re: gEDA-user: home-made dremel "drill press"

DJ Delorie wrote:
Will you add a foot treadle?  I have one and it allows 2 hands, so
more speed of going from hole to hole... for manually drilling
prototype boards...

I thought of it, but I couldn't figure out an easy way to hook it all together.

I'm still dreaming of a CNC machine.
You mean as a "fun project"?

I figure if I do the Z axis
first, I can use that with something like this press to do a "foot
pedal" thing.
Sure.  That plus some kind of x-y carriage...  Are you aiming at super low cost
for free-publishing and buildable by almost all?  Your flex-drill-stand fits that description...ultra low cost, and
it could be from wood, or sheets of plastic or metal, whatever is available...with only changes to thicknesses.

But for now we'll see how this works. I tend to favor SMD anyway, so less drilling.

Ah... but a treadle isn't just for speed -- with two hands on the board, you get another benefit -- the rake angle of your drills sometimes are pulling the material in closer and cause an oscillation or a pull around the pivot point your one hand creates if you slip some...

Two hands help but then, my experience is
with dental burrs so far, not carbides from drill city.   I do have a few
sets of random bits from Harbor Freight -- need to look at 'em under magnification
and see if the rake angle is pulling in (positive) or square + a tad (negative rake -- used
for aluminum and grabby plastics).   I don't know if your carbide PCB bits pull or not at the moment...

John Griessen
Austex