[f-cpu] Re: Floating-Point

Hi, All,

I'm new here, but aren't we developing a concept implimentation called FC-0
and is complicating matters with 128-bit FP really useful at this stage? This
is (i understand) intended to be a general  purpose processor so shouldn't we
be looking at general purpose cases that apply to normal users? I think if a
special application needs 128 (or more) FP, they are more likely at this
stage to be on a purpose-built mainframe. Later that may be different, but
later FC1 will be done (hey, lets be optimistic) and since the F-architecture
is already designed to go above 64-bits, implimenting a full 128 (or more)
F-CPU is just something you do.

In other words, why are we talking about special use FP now while we haven't
even got a general use implimementation? As long as we have enough foresight
to allow future expansion (and the docs appear to show we have) then the
point should be moot.

The discussions of different _types_ of FP unit are a different matter and
very interesting. I'm learning heaps.

Regards, Glenn

Glenn Alexander - The man with no surname and a silly hat.
(B.Teach, B.Ed Major IT Education, University of Wollongong Australia)
(Now avaliable in China!)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~glenalec (last update: 2001.07.29)

I use GNU/Linux: http://www.linux.org
from Debian: http://www.debian.org