[Computerbank] New constitution and SOP ... (long)

Hi folks,

That should be;

http://bovine.artificial-stupidity.net/~moose/

The constitution is in pdf format, and two versions are available - a clean one
and a marked up one.

Okay guys, this is it - the final constitution minus a statement of purpose. We
do need to call a Special General Meeting to ratify this and we need to do it
before the end of October. We have decided to hold this on Sunday the 28th of
October.

The aim of the SGM is to ratify the changes to the constitution. Once all this
is said and done - Computerbank Australia proper (ie, no Victorian Constitution)
comes into effect.

After the SGM, we are holding the AGM of the organisation. At the AGM we will
vote for the office bearers (Pres, VP, Sec and Treasurer) of the new
association, hear/see various kind of reports, and probably make changes to the
fees of the association. (Penni has suggested we make the individual member fee
$12, under a pro rata system such as ours, calculating dues will be simpler.)

Anyone wanting to vote or nominate for an office bearer at the SGM or AGM will
need to get their membership forms into Vic branch ASAP. (fax, scan and email or
post). We will publish a current membership list in a few days.

Okay - now getting back to the Statement of purposes issue, so far we have had;

Penni D\'s 2 cents:

> Maybe we could say that CAI is an organisation dedicated to making Information
Technology accessible to low income earners and community groups regardless of
income, age, sex, religion, race or disability.To this end we promote the use of
non-commercial software so our recipients are not economically as well as
educationally penalised.

David H\'s 2 cents:

> To promote computer literacy and use of electronic communications by providing
computers to low income individuals and community groups unable to purchase
suitable equipment. The computer systems provided are recycled from donated
equipment and installed with appropriate non-commercial software.

Rodney B\'s 2 cents:

> To promote computer literacy by providing recycled computers installed with
licenced software to low income individuals and community groups.

Tim P agrees with David B in WA who both think that the SOP should remain
technologically neutral and shoud avoid the use of terms such as commercial and
non commercial software. Rodney\'s suggestion avoids that.

For the record the Computer Angels Constitutional objectives (WA terminology for
SOP) are thus (and not as was previously suggested by Penni);

1.promote and encourage Computer Literacy throughout the community;
2.enable technological access to all;
3.organise such functions as deemed necessary to promote the aims of
the organisation;
4.form strategic partnerships with Organisations or Associations which
have compatible objectives; and
5.undertake promotional and fund-raising activities as required from time to
time to achieve these objectives.

I do believe that with these objectives the group was able to get tax exemption
status with ATO (can someone in WA confirm this, and could you please specify
what other documentation you were required to submit in order to get this
status). ????

Ok - with all that said and done - I must say I have a preference to remain
technologically neutral. :) I also think that they need to be short, one line
sentence type objectives, rather then longer type sentences as they read
better.

Frank C once came up with a SOP - that was quite neutral - but no one seems to
remember it...Frank???

As suggested by David B, the use of by laws can sort operational issues out.
Clayton Utz have also suggested that we use by laws to determine organisation
structure / operational / accountability issues rather then have all of this in
the constitution. More on by laws will be coming up soon.

For now, the immediate thing is to have a look at the constitution and to have a
think about the statement of purpose, because come Sunday - these have to be
written down in concrete. :) (This is due to the need to give 21 days notice for
a SGM).

Kind Regards,

Kylie

PS: I\'m quite behind with email and stuff - so if i haven\'t replied to your
emails - sorry - I\'m getting to them. :)

Quoting \"The Moose(tm)\" <moose@bovine.artificial-stupidity.net>:

> Hi all,
>
> The constitution can be viewed at <a
> href=\"bovine.artificial-stupidity.net\">my personal website</a>
>
> Pen.

Kylie Davies
Executive Officer
Computerbank Victoria